Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2001:
[linux-help] Re: XF86Config Editing

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: XF86Config Editing
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 00:37:12 -0500 (CDT)

Sorry if this has been asked already, but if you edit your
/etc/X11/XF86Config file and use the following setup for your mouse, does
that get you any closer (or have you tried this already):

Identifier  "Mouse1"
Driver      "mouse"
Option      "Protocol"      "MouseManPlusPS/2"
Option      "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
Option      "Buttons"       "6"
Option      "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"

This was (iirc) what i used in linux to get my mouse that came as part of
the Logitech Cordless Freedom Pro keyb/mouse set...  I believe both mice
use the MouseMan+ protocol, so the above *should* work...  make sure the
Emulate3Buttons is off and ChordMiddle is off...  some websites i've found
say to use 'Option "Buttons" "5"' .. not sure which is correct...  the
ZAxisMapping part gets the scrollwheel working in Qt/GTK apps...
/dev/psaux is the default if you're using the PS/2 mouse...  try manually
putting this in with your favorite text editor (VI, VIm, ed, emacs, etc)
and try a 'startx'...

also, try searching on google for 'logitech cordless optical mouse
xfree86' or the same thing w/o 'optical' ... this is where i found the
information for my mouse...

hopefully the above works for you...  i can't remember for sure exactly
the settings, but that should atleast get you going...  i'm using freebsd
now, so it looks completely different (using the MouseSystems driver)...

Good Luck!!!
gLaNDix

<<< lloydix.2y.net FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Thu Jul 5 06:16:31 CDT 2001
glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LLOYDIX >>>