Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2001:
[linux-help] XF86Config Editing

To: Linux Help <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] XF86Config Editing
From: Marc Bachman <mbachman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:03:40 -0500

Here's an exhaustive update on my progress: to refresh your memories, I
am trying to edit XF86 to add a Logitech Wheel ( optical ) mouse. When I
ran XConfigurator in text mode all was well until finishing installation
of my mouse at which point the inevitable: Xconfigurator: line 5
unexpected in /etc/sysconfig/mouse

                Xconfigurator: Critical error reading
/etc/sysconfig/mouse
                Xconfigurator: Check permissions of /etc/sysconfig/mouse

                Xconfigurator: Also, make sure you are running this
program as root
So, I check permission :# ls -l /etc/sysconfig/mouse
                                  -rw-r--r--  1 root  root 107 Jul 22
22:39 etc/sysconfig/mouse
So, I want to look at line 5 in /etc/sysconfig/mouse
  root@local host/root ] # /etc/sysconfig/mouse
                                        bash: /etc/sysconfig/mouse:
Permission denied
So just to see if KDE might work,
                                      #startx
                                       XF86Config:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config
                                       (**) stands for supplied, (--)
stands for probed/default
                                        values
                                        Config error:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config: 75
                                         Chordmiddle
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^
                                          Can't use Chordmiddle with
Emulate3Buttons
                                          X10: fatal IO error 104
                                         ( Connection reset by peer) on
X server ": 0.0"
                                         after 0 requests (0 known
processed) with 0 events
                                         remaining
So, we can see that I don't know yet how to get to the files to edit
them, if indeed that will be the best approach. I am sure I need to know
how to deal with this situation so I can potentially offer assistance
later. Thanks in advance, Marc