Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2001:
[linux-help] XF86Config for RH-7.0

To: "linux-help@xxxxxxxxx" <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] XF86Config for RH-7.0
From: BOB GOODWIN <bgoodwi3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:07:54 -0400

          I have never been able to make this computer
          display anything but 640 x 480 since changing
          to RH-7.0. That's the default scan after
          installation.  In Windows on the same box it
          runs 1024 x 768 so I know the hardware should
          not be the problem.

          When I run Xconfigurator and reboot X,
          ctrl/alt/backspace, then startx, I get an
          error message as soon as I get to the display
          sections in XF86Config. In fact Xconfigurator
          tells me I have a problem, what it is it
          doesn't say, I "quit" and it writes the new
          file which won't work.

           I have attempted to edit XF86Config manually
          but I really don't understand how it works
          and have had no success doing that.

          I think I could probably make it work if I
          had a copy of someone's XF86Config file that
          does work and allows selection of the scan
          rates with ctr/alt/+ etc.

          This is an old IBM Aptiva Pentium 100 mHz,
          with 64 megs of RAM and a 2 G HD, video chip
          is a trident tgui 9680, vid. mem 1024,
          connected to the Road Runner cable system and
          it works fine except for the scan problem.

          Any help would be appreciated.

          Bob Goodwin