Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2001:
[linux-help] apt-get/dpkg question

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] apt-get/dpkg question
From: Benjamin Bunck <bbunck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 11:42:06 -0500 (CDT)

I'm trying to install KDE2 on a debian machine and I've run into
something a little strange.  I've added a source for the KDE2 binaries to
my /etc/apt/sources.list file, and have run "apt-get update" to re-retrieve
the package files.

If I then go on to run something like "apt-get install kdebase", I meet
the usual, "you need these dependencies..." stuff, and it looks like it's
going to work (and I assume it will).  However, when I run "dpkg -l
*kde*", none of the KDE2 files are found.  Any ideas?  Do apt-get/dpkg
look in different places for the package database?  Is there a way to
search the packages with apt-get (I couldn't find one in the man page...)

Thanks,
Ben