Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2001:
[linux-help] DSL IP assignments

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] DSL IP assignments
From: Nathan <ncozzens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:17:33 -0600

Hello,

I'm looking to get DSL.  They're telling me I'll be
connected constantly, but that IP addresses are
assigned dynamically.  If I want a static IP, I'll
have to sign up for a more expensive program and then
they'll give me 8 IP addresses.  BUT I ONLY NEED
1!  I'd like to setup my linux box to be my own
ISP......mail server, web server, ssh server, ftp,
etc.  Is there a way I can do this despite the fact
that my IP address isn't static?  Would it be possible
to setup a DNS server that aggressively broadcasts my
new IP address whenever it changes?  Is this the best
way to go about doing this?

Thanks in advance,
Nate