Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2001:
[linux-help] Re: apt-get help

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: apt-get help
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:37:32 -0500

The best I can tell, you only need glibc6 2.2 if you use precomiled binaries.
You should be able to compile it yourself against any version of glib6.

> Any ideas on how to revert my system back to Potato?

Here's something I found in the debian-user archives:
======
======
with apt-get 0.5 you can have a /etc/apt/preferences file containing:

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: *
Pin: release a=potato
Pin-Priority: 1001

(note: normally only stable should be used, but security.debian.org uses the
value potato).

and "apt-get upgrade" will downgrade everything (you might want to prevent it
downgrading apt though):

snoopy:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  gtkhtml iptables ldap-gateways ldap-utils libbonobo-dev libgtkhtml-dev
  libldap2 liboaf-dev liboaf0 liborbitcpp-dev liborbitcpp0
  libsasl-modules-nonus libsasl7 postfix-tls reiserfsprogs rproxy slapd
  tkstep8.0
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED
  aalib1 apt apt-move bsdutils dia diskless e2fsprogs gcd gdk-imlib-dev gdm
  gedit gimp-data-extras gmc gnapster gnome-card-games gnome-faq gnome-games
  gnome-games-locale gnome-gataxx gnome-glines gnome-gnibbles gnome-gnobots2
  gnome-gnometris gnome-gnomine gnome-gnotravex gnome-gtali gnome-gturing
  gnome-gv gnome-iagno gnome-mahjongg gnome-media gnome-pim gnome-same-gnome
  gnome-stones gnome-xbill gnomeicu gnucash gnus gphoto gq grip
  gtk-engines-metal gtk-engines-notif gtk-engines-pixmap gtk-engines-redmond95
  gtop heimdal-clients-x heimdal-docs heimdal-kdc heimdal-servers
  heimdal-servers-x imlib-base imlib-dev imlib-progs imlib1 ksymoops
  libapt-pkg-dev libglade-gnome0 libglade-gnome0-dev libglade0 libglade0-dev
  libglib1.2 libglib1.2-dev libnss-ldap libpam-ldap libpisock3 libpopt-dev
  libpopt0 libxml-dev libxml1 maildrop mailman mc-common memprof modutils
  mount openldap-guide pan ppp tripwire util-linux xchat-common xchat-gnome
  xmms xscreensaver xscreensaver-gl
4 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 86 downgraded, 0 to remove and 67 not
upgraded.
Need to get 22.0MB/25.5MB of archives. After unpacking 36.2MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

which is a bit weird: upgrade or downgrade??? Of course it is downgrade, but I
typed in "upgrade".

It doesn't quite work when no version exists in stable, thats why it is trying
to upgrade 4 package here.

Also, recently I have started getting segmentation faults using -s, but have
filed a bug report.

If I understand correctly, the main problem with apt-get 0.5.0 is it relies on
the Release file to contain valid information. Often it is wrong or
"non-standard" for no good reason (eg potato vs stable as mentioned above). This
include security.debian.org (potato).

====

I've never tried it myself, so I can't say how it will react.  You need to check
which version of apt-get you have installed by running "apt-get -v".

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Secretary & Website Maintainer - info@xxxxxxxxx