Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2001:
[linux-help] apt-get help

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] apt-get help
From: Nathan <ncozzens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 15:18:22 -0600

Hello,

I'm trying to get an MP3 encoder installed on my
Debian system.  I want to use Lame.  Lame requires
libc6 2.2.  Debian (potato) only has libc6
2.1.  Pinehead.com had a little article talking about
how to fix this problem.  They recommended using the
libc6 2.2 package from "a different, but compatible
distribution, namely Progeny."  I ended up learning a
little lesson about apt-get:

If you run the command "apt-get upgrade libc6", it
won't upgrade only libc6.  It will upgrade your whole
system.

I've inadvertently "upgraded" my system to Progeny
Debian.  To add insult to injury, it didn't upgrade my
libc6.  I think Progeny is based on Debian's "testing"
package.  I'd kinda like to stay with the "stable"
package (Potato).

I've made the changes to put my etc/apt/sources.list
file back the way it was, and I've run "apt-get
update" again.  However dselect is basically seeing
that I've got a more "advanced" version of all
installed packages.  Does anyone know how to undo what
I've done?

Nate