Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2001:
[linux-help] Re: inetd and xinetd

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: inetd and xinetd
From: Larry Bottorff <prenzl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:59:43 -0500 (CDT)

This has been a hack. First, I got a RH6.2 xinetd-2.1.8.8-0.9.i386.rpm,
ran it, but it didn't come with the perl script to convert inetd.conf to
xinetd.conf. itox is supposedly too primitive, and in fact it was. I
uninstalled it. Next, I got xinetd-2.1.8.9pre15.tar.gz, built and
installed it, and it did have xconv.pl. But it wouldn't run because the
author used C-style commenting. Fixed it, ran it, got the xinetd.conf
finally. But I had no init scripts. Reinstalled the xinetd...rpm, which
had said scripts (5 or 6 scattered about), then uninstalled original
inetd...rpm. Booting, it chokes on xinetd. I see error messages in
.../rc3.d/S50xinetd. Comment out "offending" code (final case default),
reboot, see xinetd starting, test a few protocols: it works! But I still
have no great idea what a proper xinetd is. I suppose I could reinstall
the later ...9pre15. Does Debian do a better job with this sort of stuff?