Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2001:
[linux-help] Re: inetd and xinetd

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: inetd and xinetd
From: Lars von dem Ast <prenzl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 22:39:59 -0500

I am talking about RH6.2. My RH7.1 has xinetd default, including a
/etc/xinetd.d directory full of scripts (xinetd.conf then just points to
it), which the 6.2 rpm doesn't seem to set up. But then it doesn't
provide the good conversion either from inetd.conf to xinetd.conf, and
it doesn't supercede inetd once installed....necessitating the weirdness
described. IMHO, rpm in this example is rather blunt and ignorant. BTW
the "..../rc3.d/S50xinetd" is just a link back to /etc/init.d/xinetd (as
are the other .../rc* scripts), but the error message on boot mentioned
.../rc3.d/S50xinetd specifically. Does that mean it didn't try to do
anything with S50xinetd in the other rc*'s until rc3.d? Somewhat
mysterious to this beginner. This whole exercise was just to be able to
properly follow a sockets tutorial that wanted xinetd. I'm no sys guru
and I don't know my Linux boot that well. Much to learn....