Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2001:
[linux-help] Re: KVM Switch suggestions

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: mattp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: KVM Switch suggestions
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:04:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Matt Pankratz wrote:

> I'm looking for an inexpensive KVM switch (4 ports or less).
>
> Anybody have any suggestions?

        Dear Matt:

        I have always used the old-style manual switches.  They aren't
perfect, but they run about $30-$40 or so, for Keyboard and Video (no
mouse).  I use them in a couple of server farms, where I rarely need to
access the keyboard or video.  The only trouble I have with them is that
the servers seem to not to like switching keyboards (no trouble on video,
though). Sometimes I have to wait a while pressing ENTER to "wake up" the
keyboard port of the server I just switched to.  I have heard electronic
ones are better, but for my purposes, these manual ones are OK.  You can
get the manual ones in town easily.

                                Hope this helps,

                                Tom Wallis

> > Matt Pankratz
> mattp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.mattyp.net

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx    wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx