Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2001:
[linux-help] CPU fan suggestions

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] CPU fan suggestions
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 16:24:14 -0500

This is somewhat off-topic...

I have a computer that is about 1.5 years old, and I haven't had good luck
with CPU fans. It's my Linux box with a 500 MHz Athlon, and I need to keep
it running 24/7. The original CPU fan developed a bad noise, and would
speed up and slow down, nearly stopping. I replaced it with a dual fan (it
appeared to be better quality than the single fan available at the store).
One of those fans and now the other one has developed the same problem.

Are there certain brands or price ranges for those fans, or do they need to
be replaced every six to eight months? While I've been careful not to let
the computer get too hot, I also need a computer that is quiet enough to
allow me to think in the same room.

Any suggestions?

John