Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2001:
[linux-help] Re: recent hacks

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: recent hacks
From: "John Alexander" <johnalexander@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 09:13:45 -0500

I was running a bare butt RedHat 6.2, with almost no updates. It was a
server that I got "just how I wanted it", and didn't want to mess anything
up.  I have since changed my tune, and am now aggressively following up on
applying updates, or just updating all of my machines to the latest and
greatest distro, with some minor modifications. I now have portsentry
configured to scan for the ports that these people are reported to use on a
couple of machines, and then in 'beartrap mode' on a couple others. It's
amazing to sit there and watch you route table grow as people get kicked out
for scanning your machine. I also am experimenting with tripwire to track
file changes.
The one thing that really bothers me, is that according to the whitehats web
page, they use a bind exploit that can only be exploited if you run named as
root. I didn't think I was, 'cause the default for RedHat is to run named as
user named. Oh, well.

ja