Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2001:
[linux-help] Re: new distro for newbie

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: new distro for newbie
From: Marc Bachman <mbachman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:54:22 -0700

Ben Bunck wrote:

> Mandrake 8.0 and Redhat 7.1 would probably both work.  I've used both
> distrobutions in the past, and I think their both very much made with the
> newbie in mind.  I believe both of these newest releases have an assisted
> firewall setup as part of the installation, one of the many things newbies
> often overlook.  If you would like a copy of either discset, email me
> directly at this address.
>
> Ben
>
> On Monday 14 May 2001 09:50 pm, you wrote:
> > OK...that's not a yell.
> > Is there anyone who would provide me under any circumstances with
> > Mandrake 8 ( or Debian or SuSe or Rh ) latest copy CDs? I thought I
> > should see what I like before investing this time. The first time I
> > bought corel in the dark. That was a bad move. So I might as well tell
> > you also that I'm looking for networking, command line and gui features
> > that really work. I'm trying to wean my wife off M$ so I need something
> > that she might feel at home with. Might not get this all in one place,
> > but I thought I'd ask.
> > visit http://tmp2.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi
Dear Ben-
I can send a SAS bubble pak and a postal M. O. for costs to you or any
other arrangement you like. I will leave the choice of distro to you, I
believe I could handle some smaller problem solving as long as they are
not of the recurrent/chronic variety that I have already experienced.
Therefore, I do not need the highest level of hand-holding support
available, but I do look forward to doing word processing and as many
other typical applications as are available as soon as possible to
complete my transition from M$ environment. Here is an article from the
homepage of linuxnewbie-* www.consultingtimes.com/ms_infowar.html  *I
wish I knew how to get that to show up as a link so you didn't have to
type it in. It's pretty stirring about Microsoft tactics against Open
Source. Anyway, thanks and let me know, O. K. Here's my address:Marc
Bachman, 1322 Terrace Dr. El Dorado, KS. 67042 316-320-1173 local
Wichita number