Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2001:
[linux-help] Login Issue

To: Linux-Help <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Login Issue
From: John Alexander <john.alexander@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:48:27 -0500

OK, I found a pretty good one. I built this laptop as a gnome workstation
(RedHat 6.2), and, luckily, I built a user while I was doing so. I'm finding
that root can't login from the tty, and that my 'normal' user can. I did an
'su -' to root, and changed the normal users password. Now, if I (normal
user) log into the console, I still have to use my old password, but if I
(normal user) log in remotely, say, over ssh, then I have to use the new
password that I assigned to myself as root. What say ye?

ja

John Alexander
WorldCom
Senior Network Engineer I
MM NETS (Network Engineering Technical Support)
http://nets.wcomnet.com/
V737-8471
1-800-PAGE-MCI pin 930-0285
316-684-8471