Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: RPM database

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: RPM database
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:28:24 -0500

> I recently did an internet install of Mandrake 7.2. I asked for just
> about everything and the install went more or less fine. I have since
> downloaded the java SDK from sun in rpm format along with the new KDE
> distribution. When I attempt to install the KDE rpm's I am notified I do
> not have all of the dependencies satisfied ( eg: QT >= 2.2... ) when I
> have downloaded them and installed them. The java install says
> j2sdk...rpm is not installed when the directories have been created and
> files written out. I know the rpm --verify and --query options but is
> there a way to find out everything that the rpm database has in it?
rpm -qa

-qa stands for query all and just prints out every package in the database.

I would use something like "rpm -qa | grep egcs" because otherwise you are in
for several screens of really fast scrolling names.

> guess more to the point, is there a way to find out everything that rpm
> thinks is installed? I have rebuilt the database after each install but
> it doesn't seem to cure this problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.
> The man pages don't seem to deal specifically with finding out
> everything in the db.

You might also try a graphical front end (gno-rpm or kpackage (which works
with .debs as well)) because they are much easier for some things. (Also, A
Pain In The Rear  for others.

> -John

James Lancaster

totaly off topic (discussion list would be more appropriate, so please reply
to this there),
Does SID stand for Satan In Disqise and PITR for Pain In The Rear? Or is it
just me?