Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Where is that drive?

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Where is that drive?
From: "Jim Vetor" <jvetor1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 14:41:29 -0500

I am running a dual boot system Windows 98SE and Linux Mandrake 7.2 on a 500
mhz sytem with 128 meg of memory. I have a 15 gig IBM hard drive ATA 66 on
IDE 1. On IDE 2 I have a ro CD ROM master and a CD ROM burner as secondary.

I just installed an older Western Digital 21600-32H drive to the IDE 1 as
secondary. I have the jumpers set and all drives are seen in the BIOS.

I planned to run Slackware 7.1 on the WD drive but when I try to run the
Slackware installtion and get to the Partition screen (cfdisk) only
/dev/hda1 is shown (which is my IBM 15 gig drive). D:\ which should be shown
as hdb isn't shown on the partitions page at all.

I tried running the Mandrake 7.2 installtion and when I got to the Partition
table there was both drives, hda1 and hdb1 and I was able to install MD 7.2
with no problems.

Since then I have tried everything I can think of to get Slackware 7.1
installed on the WD drive. I even removed all traces of the IBM drive and
set up the WD drive as IDE 1 master (jumper and BIOS). I was able to see the
drive and started the install. As happens so often with Slackware the
install went sour and after I finished I couldn't evern boot it with a boot
disk. The install seemed to go okay until it was time to make a boot disk
(wouldn't let me) set lilo (wouldn't let me) set password (wouldn't let me)
etc etc. in other words it wouldn't let me do any configuration. I later
remembered I had tried setting up the partitions as  /, /home and /swap and
I have never been able to do that  in Slackware. The installation has to be
in one big partition and a /swap partition. Any ideas why the above set up
don't work?

Jim Vetor