Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: 3com503 Network Interface Card

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: 3com503 Network Interface Card
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 14:09:54 -0500

You're going to have to recompile your own kernel.  If you're using a 386
his will be painful at best.  I remember the days when I recompiled kernel
1.2.13 on my 40Mhz 386 with 8mb RAM... and it took me a good 4 hours.
2.0.36 will take longer.

And if you're using muLinux, it probably complicates things further.
muLinux isn't a full Linux distribution, IIRC... you'd probably have to
recompile the kernel (or at least the appropriate modules) on another PC
(which would be preferable to doing it on the 386 anyway).

Now for a bit of my own personal opinion... As a learning project for a
first-time Linux user (you haven't said that you're a first-time Linux user,
but I'm assuming as much), muLinux is probably NOT the best way to go....
especially if you're not using hardware that's supported out of the box.

I would suggest getting a 486 or low-0end Pentium with 1-2gb of HD space and
16mb-32mb of RAM and play with a 'full' distribution (whether it be Red Hat,
Debian, Slackare, or whatever).  The learning curve on many (if not all) of
these scaled-down Linux distros can be very high in comparison with a
'standard' distribution.