Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] 3com503 Network Interface Card

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] 3com503 Network Interface Card
From: "Thomas E. Lenon" <thomaslenon@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 13:11:55 -0400

 Hello,  (y'all)

A friend sent me your mailing list address and said that you were smart,
qualified, professional and might have a solution to my problem.......

so...

I've downloaded and installed on an old '386 desktop a minimal version of
linux from http://sunsite.dk/mulinux/[1] for the purpose of:
    a. learning something
    b. making the old hardware do something useful, i.e. router/firewall

but these kernels don't have support for 3com 3c503 ethernet cards.

So..

hitting the search engines I've found...
 on ZDnet[2] a description of the driver, but no URL for the driver.

other searches turned up source code for a driver update, but I can't
compilethe update, discarded the URL and can't find it again.

 What I hope to find is a load able module that will work with muLinux
kernelversion 2.0.36. I have sent an inquiry to the author/team
leader/project manager
Michele Andveoli, but he has a job, and a life, and I'm asking for free
help.

Of course, I could just go purchase some new hardware, but that would defeat
the purpose of this exercise...

Anyone have any suggestions??
 3com corp tech support[3] appears to have drivers for AT &T, SCO, and Sun
Solairs. nothing linux and nothing that old

thanks..

--- Links ---
   1 http://sunsite.dk/mulinux/
   2 http://lhd.datapower.com/db/dispproduct.php3?DISP?10