Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: help..

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: help..
From: Jeff Vian <jvian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 23:27:35 -0500

the "Oh Shit!" approach is the best for a system that already had Linux
installed.

For ease of setup and install, always install windows first because of the
mbr problem.
Then when Linux is installed, (at least with RedHat) it will see the windows
OS and prompt for making it dual boot.
The comment about windows wanting the first physical partition is, as far as
I know, correct.

However, with LILO you can boot windows from almost any partition on the
machine.  It just needs to be set up in lilo to boot that way.  Thus, if you
install windows on a drive (say in the C: drive position) then move it to
some other hardware location, (maybe to E: or F: ) then lilo will still be
able to boot windows with the proper configuration settings.

If you are dual booting with NT there are some additional considerations.
You must use the NT boot loader instead of LILO.  See the docs for how.