Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2001:
[linux-help] Re: RH7.0/RealTek driver

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: RH7.0/RealTek driver
From: Jeff Vian <jvian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 08:54:22 -0600

The best way I have found is to NOT compile the driver in the kernel, but
allow it to be loaded as a module at boot time.
If you are using DHCP for windows then the same should be used for Linux.
If the ethernet card is set up for DHCP at boot time it should load the
correct module and then get the addresses from the server.

You may need to set a line in the /etc/modules.conf file to load the correct
driver such as

    alias eth0 ne
                   ^^  this is the name of the module to load for your
particular card.  On mine it is an ne2000.

It works perfectly here in Wichita, KS