Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2001:
[linux-help] Re: installation problem

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: installation problem
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 17:23:24 -0600

On Fri, 09 Feb 2001, you wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I bought a compaq presario 5000 series computer. Now I am trying to
> install Linux on it, but I have some problems. First, I need to make a
> repartition of the 40 GB hard disk (is a ultra DMA). When fdisk try to
> access the disk it says: "the logical end of the partitions is different
> the fisical end", and can not add the new partition.
>
> Other problem I have is: when I try to install Mandrake 7.2 it freezes
> just after printing "starting second phase installation".
>
> someone has any hint about this problems?

In older bioses there is a 33.8GB limit. Basically what you need to do is
boot off a floppy (after the install) or a different hard drive because the
bios will freak out, or even linux will misrepresent it.

Call the manufaturer, get the real number of CHS (Cylenders, Heads, Sectors,
or what passes for them nowdays), then at the lilo promt type (in my case)
"hdb=89931,16,63"  replacing hdb with the drive letter, 89931 with cylenders,
16 with heads, and 63 with sectors.

If you can set the bios to only see say 30gb all the better, just add (in
lilo.conf) append="hdx=c,h,s" then type lilo, if you use lilo in mandrake 7.2

James Lancaster

> Carlos Oliveira

If you get multiple copies, delete them, or go fix kmail on alphas ;)