Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Linux Virtual memory

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux Virtual memory
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:54:43 -0600

That is normal, and fine. The kernel automaticly buffers disk reads to near
the free memory. This is to speed things up, and often does (usually the
program needs the next blocks.) It does that ONLY if there is free RAM. (disk
read from swap is just as slow as from other parts)
Looking at the machine I am on (well one of them-ssh is wonderful):
(m are 1000 not 1024)
94m total
91m used
2 m free
30m buff
swap 104KB used
This is normal, and will not slow down performance, as if there is ram
needed, then the buffer gets smaller, but if not in use, ram is used to speed
disk operations. Swap is only used when you run out of ram (pretty much), in
which case, the buffer is reduced a whole lot.

In essence: it is normal, and doesn't hurt performance.

James Lancaster

This is from memory, so correct me if I am wrong anyone.