Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Remote Distribution

To: "'linux-help@xxxxxxxxx'" <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Remote Distribution
From: Kurtis Roeder <KRoeder@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 15:53:18 -0600

Here are some answers to those questions.  I apologize for not including
them in the original message.

The central server will be running SCO.  The store servers will be running
Redhat Linux, unsure which version yet.  The central server uses a multiport
serial board with USR 56k modems to create the link between the servers. The
server utilizes Mlink/ACM(Automated Communications Manager) to dial in to
the store at certain times of the day to different tasks.  The server logs
into a shell then starts Mlink in host mode on the client side. Using the
host mode we are able to transfer files  between the machines and to run
commands on both sides of the connection. Mlink/acm on the central server
handles reporting of the sessions and also uses a proprietary transfer
protocol, but can also to Xmodem & Ymodem, and has its on scripting
language.

The data transferred is just raw data no database merges, that is done on
the local machine.

If we put up a Linux machine as a central server to talk to the store
server, We would need the following:
detailed reporting of sessions.
file transfer over dial-up lines.
The ability to run commands of both sides.

again thanks in advance

Kurtis Roeder