Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2001:
[linux-help] Password problems

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Password problems
From: Bruce Bales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:50:38 -0600

I set up a real simple Samba on my server (RH6.2) last night and per the book,
added encrypt passwords = yes.  Then added my user name and password to smb
(smbpassword -a bruce).  The windows machine was able to map my test file on
the Linux machine.  : ^ )  This morning on bootup, the Linux box wouldn't
accept any of my passwords and the windows box couldn't connect.

I opened Linux with "Linux single" in lilo and got the bash# prompt from which
I could modify /etc/shadow.  Tried just removing the information following root
and then inputting my password with "passwd root."  It took it, but still
wouldn't recognize it when I tried to boot  Tried inputting a new user and it
took the new name and password, but wouldn't accept it for login.  Even though
it is updating the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files.  (It doesn't update the
root password in either file.)

I removed the whole line containing root from /etc/shadow and tried to useradd
root, but got the message "group root exists - use -g to add this user to this
group"
Tried to change the root password and got "unknown name."

I could reload RH6.2, but I need to know why this happened or it may repeat.

I'm stuck,   bruce