Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Where do I find agpgart?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Where do I find agpgart?
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 14:28:54 -0600

On Mon, 25 Dec 2000, you wrote:
> I now have Red Hat re-installed on the HP and I did a 'builddb' and also
> 'makewhatis' and even now a 'locate agpgart' comes up empty......

I don't use any of those, but the agpgart kernel module should be in the
directory:

/lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc

Remember that this module is NOT included with the stock 2.2.14-whatever
kernel that RH 6.2 comes with. It's included in the RPM for 2.2.16-3, available
from updates.redhat.com.

> When I find it, should I build the kernel, or just add it in as a module?

You don't need to build a new kernel for this. The module is already built and
included with RH's version of 2.2.16. It should auto-load as part of XF86
startup (at least, it always has for me), you don't need to insmod it yourself.

This worked ok for me with generic Intel i810E motherboards. The HP version may
be slightly different. If it still doesn't work, keep the 2.2.16-3 kernel and
get the RPMs for the new XF86 server and agpgart module from support.intel.com.

Good luck,
Greg

--
"Wow, I didn't know being a super hero could be so painful."