Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Intel 82810 video chip set.

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Intel 82810 video chip set.
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 10:13:05 -0600

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, you wrote:
>I cannot get red had, mandrake, nor debian to start my x windows server.  I
>can get vga16 to sorta run (crashes about every 2nd to 3rd time) */cannot
>connect xsocket:err 111/* > I sat down with XF86Setup and walked through each
>and every driver in there.  I keep getting unkown chipset.  When SVGA server
>does start, it is a 320 x 240 display.  Right now I have a fully functional
>Debian potato running, but it also cannot start x windows.  Last night I had
>debian, red hat, mandrake, slackware, turbo linux, bsd, and something else.  I
>spent from 3pm to 6am this morning.  Nothing is new enough to find the chip and
>recognize it.  I have been to xfree86.org, red hat, bsd, gnome.org  Nothing out
>there can find my video chips.  Is my video card going to go the way of my
>modem?

If it's really an i810 (not i815) chipset, you can run it with RedHat 6.2.
XFree86 3.3.6 supports the chipset, but it requires an additional kernel module
(agpgart) to allocate system memory for video use. RedHat neglected to include
that module in 6.2, but you can get it if you upgrade to the 2.2.16-3 kernel
available from RedHat's updates/errata website. They also have instructions for
doing this on the website, but it's a little hard to find.

Now, if it's an i815, that won't work. Based on my experience with these
chipsets, what you're describing is what one gets with the i815 video chipset.
I'm not sure it identifies itself explicitly as an i815, but it functions
differently then the i810 even if it calls itself "i810". To get the i815
chipset, you have to get a replacement XF86_SVGA server and agpgart module from
Intel. It's available under support.intel.com, look for i810 (strangely enough
it doens't SAY 815 on the search stuff, but in the documentation it does,
weird). Anyway, this is available in either RPM or source form and will get you
a functioning XF86 setup using XF86 3.3.6. The documentation says it doesn't
work on newer versions of XF86, I didn't try it.

Greg