Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Re: I want to set up a linux server at home. Please aim me

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: I want to set up a linux server at home. Please aim me at the correct package and howto
From: Jeremy King <soapboxalpha@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:25:45 -0800 (PST)

I can't tell you anything specific (I'm no expert
myself), but you'll probably need to be more specific
in stating your goals.  You say you want a
server--what services should your server be offering,
and to whom? If you want to set it up "like a
company", do you want to set up an internet server or
an intranet server?  It's one thing to set up a box so
that your own lan can use it effectively--it's quite
another to get a box up and running on the internet.

As to what "package" you should be looking for, I
doubt that you will find a single package that turns a
workstation into a server--you'll need to research
each service you plan to provide, then choose a
package that can provide that service, then configure
that package correctly.  Here is a list of services,
and some of the packages that I know about:

Service          Packages
----------       ----------
DNS              bind
email            sendmail, postfix, exim
web              apache
ftp              proftp, wu-ftp
ip-masquerading  ipmasq
proxy            squid, wwwoffle

Some of these may already be installed on a default RH
installation, others may require you to do a "server"
or "custom" install.

Jeremy

http://tmp2.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi