Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Re: I want to set up a linux server at home. Please aim me

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: I want to set up a linux server at home. Please aim me at the correct package and howto
From: "Michael Holmes" <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 15:51:03 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy King" <soapboxalpha@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2000 12:25 PM
Subject: [linux-help] Re: I want to set up a linux server at home. Please
aim me at the correct package and howto

> I can't tell you anything specific (I'm no expert
> myself), but you'll probably need to be more specific
> in stating your goals.  You say you want a
> server--what services should your server be offering,
> and to whom?

The server would just be here at home, I want to use it as a fire wall,
email server\

If you want to set it up "like a
> company", do you want to set up an internet server or
> an intranet server?

intranet.  I also want to be able to serve windoz machines.  Be able to back
up my laptop from the lan cable.  More than anything, I want to get some
network experience with the linux box.  I went out and got a 56K irq
settable modem (linux)

 It's one thing to set up a box so