Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Re: caldera 2.3 freezing

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: caldera 2.3 freezing
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:08:14 -0600

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, you wrote:
> Is you kernel really dead? Check to see if your num lock key works? If ye=
> s then
> see if you can get to another console. Try ctrl+alt+f1. Log as root and k=
> kill
> the x-console. Then try and find out what your other problem is but don't=
>  just
> reset if you can keep from it.

It sounds like the X server has died, but you will not be able to get to
another console, because the X server handles mouse+kb io. If you have a
network you can [ssh,rsh,telnet] into it and kill the X server. It may not
work as the X server runs as root (to get a console) and can do nasty things
when it crashes, including killing the kernel.

I would advise everyone to get a cheap network running just for that purpose
(of fixing problems over the network) This is especially true if you beta
test things (2.4 being the major thing right now), but it helps with "normal"
setups. If nothing else a 486 can be used as a xterm.

James L

btw, what video card?