Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Re: someone good with lilo?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: someone good with lilo?
From: Jeff Vian <jvian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:56:46 -0600

I have RH7 on my PC with dual boot to Windows98

My lilo.conf file is below.
With this setup, Windows98 is on the first hard drive ( /dev/hda1 ) with
lilo on the boot sector.
Linux boots from the scsi drive.
I have used similar settings to boot windows on /dev/hdb1 or /dev/sda1 as
well.

NOTE:    the "boot=/dev/hda" line must be set to the hard drive you are
using for boot in bios.  If you are using any drive other than the master on
the first controller you will need to change it appropriately.

For windows 98 you need a single stanza similar to the one I present here.
(the stanza structure is important)
You should not need to change bios settings for any changes because you
simply select the OS to boot at the LILO: prompt.

boot to linux, edit the /etc/lilo.conf file for the correct settings, then
run lilo to write the boot sector.
You should then be able to boot with lilo to select your OS.

--------- lilo.conf ------------
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b