Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Debian/apt guru required...

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Debian/apt guru required...
From: Jeremy King <soapboxalpha@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:14:54 -0800 (PST)

First, thanks to Tom for the answer that I was looking
for...

As to the precise problem with the partition table, I
don't really know.  When I installed debian I said
"make a boot floppy" then "make linux bootable from
the hard disk".  Debian's lilo setup barfed at that
point, and basically refused to set up any kind of
"boot from the hard disk" option.  The actual error
message I no longer recall, but it couldn't handle the
partitioning scheme for some reason.  I assumed that
the problem was lilo's inability to boot from beyond
the 1023 cylinder--my hda1 is a pretty good sized
win98 partion, followed by swap, /boot, and /home on
hda5-7 (they are logical partitions).  The '/'
directory comes in last on hda8.

um... I feel like an absolute moron :-).

The lilo.conf was set to boot off of hda2.  No wonder
it didn't like me.  Deleting the '2' solved my
problems.  lilo just installed, a reboot is now in
progress, and I'm sure glad you all wanted me to
explain my problem.  I still don't know why debian
couldn't configure lilo correctly from the start, but
it's working now.  In any case, thanks for the info
Tom--I'm sure I'll find it to be useful in the future.

Jeremy

http://tmp2.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi