Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Firewalls and bind

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Firewalls and bind
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 22:19:27 -0500

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> Setting up bind as a caching-only name server is very simple.  The Debian
> configuration allows for this with the default configuration script.  I
> imagine RH or nearly any other distribution would do the same.  If not, you
> can do it by hand very easily, too--just spend 5 minutes reading bind
> documentation to see how :-)

Already did.

> As for firewalling... Why bother? :-)  I'm not __aware__ of any security
> issues with bind that would jeapordize your system.  Although I don't
> necissarily keep up on all those issues.  Someone might be able to retrieve
> cached information from your name server!! :-)

Because, I have heard that bind does have security issues. In fact, I have
heard of some DNS servers that are explicitly designed to minimise the
security risks.

James

btw, Yes that was another duplicated message. I used konqueror to send
messages which launched kmail 1.94 which sent them while I was running 1.1.2,
and raided it's temp files (#s from kde version)