Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2000:
[linux-help] understanding daemons

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] understanding daemons
From: Nathan <ncozzens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 22:48:01 -0500

I'm trying to better understand daemons and how they work with Linux. I just finished setting up a DHCP server on my 486 Linux box. I got everything setup to go (/etc/init.d/dhcp, dhcpd.conf & dhcp.leases) The man pages said I had to "invoke" the daemon, but I didn't know how to "invoke" anything. I thought maybe I could set the ball in motion by rebooting instead...but that didn't work. I finally learned to invoke the daemon by typing "dhcpd start eth0". At that point, I was wondering if the daemon would still be running after a reboot or if I'd have to invoke it every time I started the machine. The daemon was running after a reboot. I don't understand why the reboot didn't work. The dhcp file in init.d is what causes dhcp to start during a boot, right? So why didn't that work when the daemon hadn't yet been invoked? I thought a "dhcpd start" was nothing more than a manual way to do what's done automatically during a boot.