Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2000:
[linux-help] Re: kill -HUP 1

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: kill -HUP 1
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 01:19:57 -0500

Nathan wrote:

> I'm learning/tinkering with Samba.  I'm running Samba
> from inetd rather than as a startup daemon.
>
> 1.  When I'm done editing Smb.conf, how do I get the
> changes to take effect?
>
> A HowTo I was reading said to use "kill -HUP 1" to
> restart the daemon during installation of Samba.  I'm
> assuming the author of this HowTo realizes process 1
> is "init".
> What exactly does "kill -HUP 1" do?

It tells init that it should re-read /etc/inittab;
this is necessary whenever you edit /etc/inittab, in
order for those changes to take effect.

The hangup signal is not quite arbitrary: inetd is a
daemon process, which means that it runs without having
a controlling tty. With no tty, there is nothing to
send it a hangup signal, except an explicit kill system
call.

This convention is also used by other daemons, such as
inetd. I wouldn't be surprised if Samba uses it, but
you'd have to find the program and process id. If not,
you can probably run (as root):

  /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start

> Thanks,