Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2000:
[linux-help] Re: ls

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: ls
From: Nathan <ncozzens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 22:18:13 -0500

At 09:44 PM 9/2/00 -0500, you wrote:
ls -R * will recursively list and descend through all directories from
the current working directory.  It won't tell you whether the file is
there or not. It's better to use this instead :

find . -name filename 2> /dev/null

where the file name is the file you're looking for and the dot is the
cwd.

The dot is the cwd?  What is cwd?

What could I add to this command to make it give me one screen at a time, allowing me to hit a key when I'm ready to look at the next screen?

DOS:  dir *.o /s /p

If I get tired of looking at the many screens of files, how can I make it stop?

DOS:  Ctrl-C

If you wish, -ctime and others will allow you to find files with
creation times and other forms of search exist. The 2> /dev/null tells
all the error messages to go to /dev/null which is a special file which
basically just directs trash off into thin air.