Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2000:
[linux-help] Re: ls

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: ls
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 19:44:56 -0500

No. It only shows the ones in the current directory. I'm running Mandrake (7.0)
and I just tried it. I have a file called x.html in a subdirectory, I touched
two files in the directory above it, x1.html and x2.html. I do ls x* and I get
only the files in the directory I'm in. I do find . -name "x*" and it finds
all three (and a bunch of other junk starting with x under .kde, .netscape,
office52, etc).

ls has always searched only the current directory. To change it to do
subdirectories would totally screw lots of people up.

Greg