Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Re: storing files on windows partition

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: storing files on windows partition
From: J Lancaste <pantherace13@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:36:13 -0700 (PDT)

--- Craig Terhune <craigter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a 3 gig with 750 Meg free and a windows box
> with 8 gig, I need to be able to store or back
> up files on linux to the windows box. Is there a
> particular partition scheme that would facilitate
> this better? The windows box will be running Max
> blast as I don't have a bios that will use all of
> my drive (5 gig max). Can I run programs. off the

You can run programs from it, but it may be slow (on
10baset it is, but if you need to, it works)

> windows box on my linux box if storage becomes a
> problem.What do I need to do??Besides setting up
> smb is there any other services that I should be
> running on Linux?

No, not that I know of as long as smb works.
I use (for my linux system at home)
"mount -t smbfs -o workgroup=lancasterlan \\sidney\c
\mnt\sidney"
that makes sidney's (winbox) harddrive accessable at
/mnt/sidney with full access (or read-only-set at windows
box under sharing) and you can run executables from it. If
you have wine, then you can use it to run (sometimes)
windows executables. The "-o workgroup=xxx" must be there
for some reason (in my experence).

James L

btw, I have been experementing with wine, and might be able
to do a presentation on it, if anyone wants me to.