Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Question with 'chroot'.

To: linux-help <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Question with 'chroot'.
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 06:05:57 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Wang Min wrote:

> I want chroot to do this job, when a user logins to my linux
> box, first his group id is checked, for example, if he is not
> in the root group, then his root directory switchs to /user,
> and I think the security situation is dramatically improved by
> this method. As far as I know, I should modify the /bin/login
> source code and overwrite it with the new one to achieve the
> goal, the fact is I am a newbie to Linux and don't know how to
> get the login source code and how to modify it as well,
> anybody help me?

1) On my redhat system, 'login' (/bin/login) is part of the
util-linux package; thus, I'd go to the redhat site, or a mirror,
and look for the "srpm", or source RPM for it --
util-linux-version.srpm.  Install that, and (for a redhat-like
system) you'll end up with a .tar file in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.
Untar that, and you'll find the source to the login program.

2) As far as modifying the source to login, that's something I
haven't done; very few people have, probably. It sounds like you
have a pretty clear idea of what you want to do, so translating
that into source code should be reasonably easy.

As Jonathan says in his email, though, there are a lot of things
that result from having a "/user" chroot. The positive side to
doing this is that you can keep putting things in one at a time,
and when something breaks, you add what needs to be added :)
Luckily, disk space is cheap.

Good luck,
-jeff
--
"Humans think they are smarter than dolphins because we build cars and
buildings and start wars, etc., and all that dolphins do is swim in the