Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Debian NFS Question

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Debian NFS Question
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:40:06 -0500

The problem is that the files are owned by (User ID) uid 1001 and gid of
whatever console is on the the other boxes.

When they look in the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files to see who they
belong on the other boxes they find that 1001 is not in the password
file and the gid corresponds to the console group.
(the uid is the 3rd field in /etc/passwd and the gid is the 3rd field in
/etc/group

The problem is different /etc/passwd and /etc/group files on different
machines, that map the uid and gid to different names.

There are 2 solutions. Either have the same uid and gid entry in all
/etc/passwd and /etc/group files, but since the gid is already used by
by the other boxes, so replacing it would probably break some things.
Change the gid on the server to something that will work on both, and
chgrp any files that had that old group.

Second use NIS, which everyone says not to do and I have no experience
setting up

I thought there was a third but it seems uid and gid are not options
when mounting nfs

Curtis Hawthorne wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've finally got my SparcSation 2 running and have set
> it up as a dedicated file server for my LAN.  It is
> running Potato Debian.  I got Samba up and running
> just fine sharing the /home/samba directory.  Now I am
> trying to get NFS set up so that my other Linux
> machines can access the directory (they need to have
> both read and write permisions).  My problem is that
> when I mount the NFS share on my other linux machine
> everything shows up as owned by the user 1001 and
> group console.  I would like the permissions to be the
> same everywhere.
>
> My /etc/exportfs:
> /home/samba/            *.thinktank(rw)
>
> The line of interest in my /etc/fstab:
> sparky:/home/samba      /mnt/sparky             nfs
> defaults,rsize=8192,wsize=8192   0 0
>
> Where sparky is the name of the file server and
> /home/samba is the directory being shared.
>
> This same config works just the way I want it to on my
> RedHat box, so is this a Debian specific thing?
>
> Also, is there a better way to share files with
> read/write permissions in Linux?  NFS seems kind of
> insecure because anyone with the same username can
> modify files owned by that user.
>
> And yes, I have tried to RTFM (man page and how-to)
> but I couldn't find anything about this problem.
>
> Thanks!

Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
President Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@xxxxxxx
---
Please, you have to let me log on! Just one piece of e-mail!  I won't
play Minesweeper! I promise! Don't you people care?!?! No one asked me
where I want to go today!!!
                                        -- Greg
User Friendly, 3/14/1998