Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2000:
[linux-help] Debian NFS Question

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Debian NFS Question
From: Curtis Hawthorne <cghawthorne@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 16:54:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

I've finally got my SparcSation 2 running and have set
it up as a dedicated file server for my LAN.  It is
running Potato Debian.  I got Samba up and running
just fine sharing the /home/samba directory.  Now I am
trying to get NFS set up so that my other Linux
machines can access the directory (they need to have
both read and write permisions).  My problem is that
when I mount the NFS share on my other linux machine
everything shows up as owned by the user 1001 and
group console.  I would like the permissions to be the
same everywhere.

My /etc/exportfs:
/home/samba/            *.thinktank(rw)

The line of interest in my /etc/fstab:
sparky:/home/samba      /mnt/sparky             nfs
defaults,rsize=8192,wsize=8192   0 0

Where sparky is the name of the file server and
/home/samba is the directory being shared.

This same config works just the way I want it to on my
RedHat box, so is this a Debian specific thing?

Also, is there a better way to share files with
read/write permissions in Linux?  NFS seems kind of
insecure because anyone with the same username can
modify files owned by that user.

And yes, I have tried to RTFM (man page and how-to)
but I couldn't find anything about this problem.

Thanks!