Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Linux on a Laptop

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux on a Laptop
From: Wayne White <WWHITE1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 07:34:45 -0600

At 09:03 AM 03/20/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi all.  I just did my first sucessfull install of mandrake7 on my Compaq
>presario 1622 laptop.  However I ham having no end of troubles getting my
>PCMCIA net card to work.  I have a Netgear FA410tx.  I can still exchange it
>out at CompUSA, but if the hardware is the problem, I need to know what kind
>to buy.  Any assistance would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Jonathan

>visit http://tmp2.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi

You might make sure that your PCMCIA service is starting correctly. My
first laptop install was Red Hat, which Mandrake is derived from. It
took some tweak to start the PCMCIA as a module after booting to get
it to even see the PCMCIA slots, much less the cards. I'm sorry, it's
been so long that I don't remember exactly what I had to do to get it
to work. Someone, steer him in the right direction on the modules thing.

Just a note. I was recently forced to wipe the drive in that laptop.
When reinstalling I went with Open Linux 2.3. It came out of the install
with the PCMCIA working and my Linksys card recognized, just had to
turn it on with COAS.

wayne