Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Multiple Linuxes

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Multiple Linuxes
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 11:25:19 -0600

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, you wrote:
> Has anyone ever tried to install more than one instance of Linux on the same
> computer?  I thought I'd give it a try since I have ample space and would like
> to have some freedom in experimenting with things.  Disk Druid won't let me
> set
> another "/", although it will allow me to create some other partitions (ones
> that don't exist on my other install).  Is there a way I can get around this?

Yeah, don't use Disk Druid... A someone else said, use fdisk or cfdisk to
create your partitions and then just point Red Hat at the ones already
created. I personally prefer cfdisk, but it doesn't really matter. I think you
can actually do more stuff with the plain old fdisk, it's just more steps to do
it.

This is the problem we're starting to get into with these "easier to use"
(often graphical) installation appliciations. People like RedHat, Mandrake, and
others have to make it easy enough for the average Windows user to pop in a
CD and install Linux without having to actually do any reading. That's fine for
the person that's at that level, but for someone that wants to do a more
complicated installation, it gets in the way.

I was trying to do something similar to this awhile back and fought with one of
those install things for a couple of days. Finally grabbed my old Slackware CD,
booted up and was instantly able to do what I needed to do. No hassles, no
worries. Easier is not always better.

Greg