Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Home Networking

To: "linux-help@xxxxxxxxx" <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Home Networking
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:05:19 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Andrew Peck wrote:

> Hi, I am new to the list and to networking, and I have been trying to
> figure out how to determine an IP address to use for my home network
> (only 2 computers at present).

For a private LAN, there are three sets of addresses you can
use. For a LAN consisting of 2 computers, I'd say use the
192.168.0.0 range. I'd point you to the RFC but I forget the
number.

> Could someone point me to the man page(s) I need to read to
> get my Linux (Mandrake 6.1) box talking to my Windows(98)
> machine without locking up my internet conection.

It sounds like maybe you've had previous troubles with a certain
approach?  Otherwise all it takes is an ethernet card in each box
and a cable to connect 'em.  A hub if you're using twisted pair.
ifconfig each to use a 192.168 address and there you go.

> Oh and out of curiosity, how do you get the random quotes
> atached to your email?

This varies according to your MUA (what you use to send email). I
see you're using netscape. Last I saw (not terribly recently),
netscape had support for a fixed file as a signature. If more
recent versions can read from a named pipe instead, then you can
do like I did and put a perl program behind that pipe to feed
random signatures out.  I currently use pine to do this.

-jeff
--
"What do you think about this rapidly widening [Waco] scandal?" "C'mon,
cut those FBI guys a little slack.  If we held them accountable for every