Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: hpcomm: January 2000:
Connection to HP49G Failing with v3.0r2

To: <hpcomm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Connection to HP49G Failing with v3.0r2
From: "Christopher P Swider" <cswider@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 21:10:09 -0600

I recently received the HPComm PC Connectivity Kit v3.0r2 from HP (running
under Win98).  I used it to perform a flash update successfully for my HP49G
calculator about 3 times so far (so I know my physical connection is good),
but have always had trouble connecting to the calculator for the normal file
exchange interface...

When I launch the program, I'm plugged in and in server mode (right-shift
and right-arrow together).  "Awaiting Server Cmd." displays on the
calculator, followed by "Processing command" when the application starts on
the PC.

But then it still says "Processing command" while displaying the hourglass
when the software comes up with the "Connection failed" window.  About a
second or 2  after that, the calculator says "Connecting", but by then it's
too late and HPComm has given up on the 49G.  It then does a "Retry" several
times before I press the 'ON' button to cancel it.

It seems to me that the software is not giving the calculator enough time to
process the command.  HPComm appears to send commands to the calculator
about 3 times before timing out.  But the calculator takes longer to process
the command!  Perhaps this is a problem for me since I have a fast PC
(500MHz).

What can I do to remedy the problem?

Please help,
-Chris Swider

PS:

(green) Trying to Open COM1
(red)           Connecting to the calculator
(red)           Getting calculator information
(green) Reading PC contents
(red)           Reading calculator contents

And yes, I have verified that the baud rate, format, translation, and CRC
match on the calculator and PC.  I even got this to work once or twice, just
after my upgrade to ROM 1.17-6.  The calculator processed the command
extremely quickly and was able to keep up with the PC.  But now it can't,
even with new batteries.

I have also seen similar complaints on the sys.comp.hp48 newsgroup, but no
solutions.