Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2009:
[gopher] Re: Please try out the world's first wiki-based gopher proxy!

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Please try out the world's first wiki-based gopher proxy!
From: Brian Koontz <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 21:16:35 -0500

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 08:02:51PM -0700, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> > As a proof of concept, I've written a gopher proxy specifically for
> > WikkaWiki (I'm one of the devs on that project).  I invite you all to
> > check it out, put it through its paces, and provide feedback.  I wrote
> > this because I believe the more pathways we provide to gopher content,
> > the more likely we might be to attract new followers.  This proxy
> > basically permits a WikkaWiki owner to serve up gopher content
> > "natively."  I think it's rather cool.
>
> Neat. The only glitches I found is that it butchers ASCII art (but I can
> understand the reason for this), and plaintext gets mangled since it doesn't
> have HTML breaks. But I like the idea!

I'm torn:  I like the readability of a proportional font, but yes, it
does wreak havoc with things that depend on monospace fonts.  I'm
still trying to figure this one out.

Where did you find an instance of plaintext mangling?  I'd like to see
this, as I'm going a global search and replace on \r\n with HTML
breaks already...

  --Brian