Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2009:
[gopher] Please try out the world's first wiki-based gopher proxy!

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Please try out the world's first wiki-based gopher proxy!
From: Brian Koontz <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 20:56:58 -0500

All--

As a proof of concept, I've written a gopher proxy specifically for
WikkaWiki (I'm one of the devs on that project).  I invite you all to
check it out, put it through its paces, and provide feedback.  I wrote
this because I believe the more pathways we provide to gopher content,
the more likely we might be to attract new followers.  This proxy
basically permits a WikkaWiki owner to serve up gopher content
"natively."  I think it's rather cool.

Also, I just wanted to see if I could actually *write* a gopher proxy
:)

Some additonal rationale behind my motives can be found here:

http://wikkawiki.org/WikkaGopher

At any rate, here's the link to the proxy:

http://wikkacase.org/wiki/GopherProxy

There should be no need to register a username.

Right now, it points by default to Cameron's floodgap gopher server.
But you should be able to follow any gopher links to other servers you
find (or feel free to simply modify the URI).

If you want to leave a comment, you can do it right on the page...just
scroll down and click "New Comment."   I'll leave this open until the
spambots discover it.

If anyone's interested in the code, I'd be glad to send it along.  No
docs to speak of, as it's still very much beta.

  --Brian