Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: February 2009:
[gopher] Re: Anouncement: A New Version of Gopher Client

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Anouncement: A New Version of Gopher Client
From: Matjaž Mešnjak <matjaz85@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 21:46:19 +0100

2009/2/17 Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> It's sort of HTTP/HTML with none of the advantages. I'd rather work in
> HTML than RTF, although I suppose at the time RTF was more developed and
> had more markup features.
If I understand correctly the advantage they saw in RTF is
text+images=1 file -> you only have to fetch the information from the
server once. With html you would need to download the images
separately.

> The real question would be if it degraded gracefully (i.e., a regular
> gopher menu for every RTF menu), which I haven't investigated. If it did,
> then I *would* call that an advantage, but I imagine that was not part
> of the spec.
I don't think they were thinking about that. This sort of menus don't
work at all in any other Gopher+ client - they just display lots of
error lines.

Matjaz