Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: February 2009:
[gopher] Re: Anouncement: A New Version of Gopher Client

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Anouncement: A New Version of Gopher Client
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:04:50 -0800 (PST)

> > That is, uh, quite strange.
>
> I know :-) But it's quite funny to look at it 15 years after it was
> first proposed. I look at it as one last attempt to win against
> http/html.

It's sort of HTTP/HTML with none of the advantages. I'd rather work in
HTML than RTF, although I suppose at the time RTF was more developed and
had more markup features.

The real question would be if it degraded gracefully (i.e., a regular
gopher menu for every RTF menu), which I haven't investigated. If it did,
then I *would* call that an advantage, but I imagine that was not part
of the spec.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- I may have invented CtrlAltDel, but Microsoft made it popular. -- D. Bradley