Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: February 2009:
[gopher] Re: progress on the Overbite AIR client

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: progress on the Overbite AIR client
From: Dennis Schulmeister <dennis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 18:31:58 +0100

Hi Cameron,

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 07:53 -0800, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> The advantage of writing this in AIR is that it will run on Windows, Mac OS
> X and Linux as is (there is some platform dependent code in it, but otherwise
> it is essentially the same program). Plus, AIR is an Adobe product, so it has
> the stability of a large, well-known company maintaining it.

Judging from how unstable and even insecure Adobe's Flash can be on my
Linux box[1] I wouldn't give much about the creditability of a
well-known company. Far from it. Whenever possible I don't want to run
proprietary software with only the binaries released on my system at
all. IMHO it'd be better to rely on open-sourced, proven and truly
platform independent technologies like Python, Ruby, Java, you name it.

Just my two cents, though. Let me know if I can help with German
translations. :=)

Yours sincerely,
Dennis Schulmeister

[1] Flash is the only application which manages to freeze my whole
computer from time to time. A company like Adobe might be large but it
will never beat a vivid community at spotting and fixing bugs.

--
Dennis Schulmeister - Schifferstr. 1 - 76189 Karlsruhe - Germany
Tel: +49 721/5978883 - Mob: +49 152/01994400 - eMail: dennis@xxxxxxxxxxx

Now moved to the corridor: Hermes! (http://ncc-1701a.homelinux.net)
Besides that: http://www.denchris.de - http://www.motagator.net/bands/65

<GnuPG KeyIDs: B8382C97, 01AD62DE>