Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2008:
[gopher] Re: Gopher mobile browser?

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher mobile browser?
From: sonicmctails@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 09:53:12 -0400

 I was working on creating one for WIndows Mobile/WIndows in Qt, but beyond
writing the base library code which does work properly on WIndows (and
WInMobile), I didn't get too far. At some point I'd like to pick up the project
again.
Michael

> There was often mentioned that gopher protocol is very suitable, more
> than http, for mobile devices, including cellphones. However, when I
> decided finally to browse gopher from my mobile, I found that I have no
> tool for it. With my Nokia 6070 there are 2 possibilities: use some
> lightweight standalone Java client or use the phone's built-in browser
> and some gopher-to-web proxy interface. Lite version of Floodgap proxy
> generally works, as well as wap version on quux.org via pygopherd wap
> url, but I'm still wondering if someone knows any existing standalone
> mobile client?

> There was often mentioned that gopher protocol is very suitable, more
> than http, for mobile devices, including cellphones. However, when I
> decided finally to browse gopher from my mobile, I found that I have no
> tool for it. With my Nokia 6070 there are 2 possibilities: use some
> lightweight standalone Java client or use the phone's built-in browser
> and some gopher-to-web proxy interface. Lite version of Floodgap proxy
> generally works, as well as wap version on quux.org via pygopherd wap
> url, but I'm still wondering if someone knows any existing standalone
> mobile client?

I don't, unfortunately. I was working on one for the iPhone, but frankly I
find I have an allergy to Objective-C (my Mac applications use Aqua wrappers
around Perl ;-).

I don't know very much about EPOC or Symbian development, and my Palm
client wound up stillborn due to the nature of the particular library I
was using.

Like a new native Windows client, it's a big gap.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx